ONCE YOU HAVE DECIDED TO LIST YOUR HOME THERE ARE SOME THINGS YOU CAN DO TO MAKE THE HOME AND PROPERTY MORE APPEALING AND BRING YOU A BETTER RETURN
Preparing to Show Your Home
First impressions are the most important when showing a property to your advantage. Buyers that are turned off be something they see when first visiting the property tend to get hung up on that and don't always appreciate the full value. Here are some things simple you can do to make your home and property show at its best when potential buyers come to view.
- House should generally be in good repair and look good
- Gates and entry ways should be in good repair and latches all work
- Roof, eaves troughs, down spouts and soffits should be in good repair
- Garage/car port should be clean and tidy
- Litter should be picked up and a general yard clean should be done.
- Old vehicles and equipment should be hauled away
- Cracked or broken window panes should be replaced
- Lawns and hedges should be cut and trimmed, garden weeded
- All stairs in should be in good repair - Door hardware should be in good repair
- Main entry porch and foyer should be clean and tidy
- Clean! Do a deep clean of the home and yard before buyers come to view (start this cleaning the day you list the property as it will take longer than you expect)
- Chipped plaster and paint should be touched-up
- Doors and cupboards should all be properly closed
- Leaky taps and toilets should be repaired
- Burned out light bulbs should all be replaced and lights turned on
- Squeaky doors should be oiled
- Mirrors, fixtures, and taps should be cleaned and polished
- Seals around tubs and basins should be in good repair
- The floors should be clean and garbage containers empty
- Inside of closets and cupboards should be neat and tidy
- Appliances should all be cleaned
- Countertops should be neat and clean
- Fresh air in the home makes it more appealing as does a fire in the wood stove or fireplace depending on the time of year
- Halls and stairs should be cleaned and clear of clutter
- Drapes should opened during daylight
- Carpets should be freshly vacuumed
- If possible put out fresh flowers
- Do not leave personal effects and valuables out.
- Store all clutter in plastic tote boxes, this makes last minute clean up easy especially if there is an unexpected showing on short notice. If there are kids in the family give them their own tote and encourage them to put their toys away before a showing.
- Pets should be absent, where possible, or contained during the showing and cat litter boxes should be clean